Congratulations on your new study place in the Aalto University School of Art, Design and Architecture (or Aalto ARTS for short)! Getting through the application process is not easy, but you made it to Aalto, hooray!
Student culture in Aalto is very active, and in most part it is built by student associations. The students in ARTS are gathered under a student association called TOKYO. The mission of TOKYO is to bring together all the ARTS students, and to take care of their student rights as well as their wellbeing. During the year TOKYO organizes events for students such as the starting party of the academic year Start ARTS, TOKYO’s annual costume party Maskerad and the TOKYO Christmas Sales. Check out our FAQ if you have questions!
We have gathered this package that contains all the information a new student could possibly need before your studies start and even throughout the first year. The website is being constantly updated so if you are unable to find what you are looking for, please let us know so we can add more information to the page.
TOKYO also provides you with a freshmen guidebook. It contains some of the essential basic information in a nice concise way for you to read. Have a read of the guide on Issuu!
Reach the other ARTS people
To stay up to date on goings-on in Aalto ARTS, go and like TOKYO’s page on Facebook here. You can also join the group for our association and like the page of our association’s personification, Sheryl. And we’re also on Instagram!
You can also join ARTS students’ discussion thread on the
Telegram app here. Telegram is widely used in the Aalto student community. It works much like WhatsApp, but it has several features that make it better especially for managing large groups.
Aalto International Students’ Guide
We have created this guide to help you get settled in Finland as seamlessly as possible. The guide covers topics ranging from getting housing to starting your studies (in that order).
This is guide is constantly being updated throughout the summer and fall as new questions come up that we did not include in the guide!
TOKYO’s International Student Guide 2019
Here we’ve collected links to Aalto’s official pages for international students:
We’ve collected here a group of links which should help your student life in ARTS and Aalto in general.
- FAQ for new Aalto students by Aalto Squad — A lot of useful information on the practicalities of moving here.
- Kanttiinit.fi — Menus for the student restaurants in Otaniemi (click the flag at the top right-hand corner for English!)
- Useful Aalto Map — A useful map page which allows you to find specific spaces within the campus
- Aalto Takeout — A page for loaning various equipment from the school or booking e.g. laser cutting machines and so on.
- http://computers.aalto.fi/ : Shows the availability of computers in the Aalto campus in real-time.
Social media for Aalto and Otaniemi
- https://t.me/aaltomarketplace/ : buy and sell stuff around Otaniemi/Aalto
- https://t.me/annetaantavaraa/ : free stuff (furniture, etc) giveaway group in Otaniemi
- https://t.me/foodl123/ : food giveaway group in Otaniemi
- https://t.me/otaniemi/ : big discussion group for stuff around Otaniemi and Aalto, mostly in Finnish with some occasional discussions in English
- https://t.me/aaltoartstg/ : Aalto ARTS discussion group
- https://t.me/aaltointernational/ : International-focused discussion around Aalto
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/teekkarikylamarkkinat/: Buy, sell or exchange stuff (e.g. furniture, home appliances, etc) in the Aalto Otaniemi campus
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/AaltoInternational/: International affairs-focused group in FB